Monday, October 03, 2005

One

A year ago today I tried to get a sign-on so I could leave a comment on Jenna's blog, and discovered I was inadvertently creating one of my own.

I didn't want one but I kept filling out stuff as screen followed screen. And there it was. And here it still is a year later.

I'd done some guest blogging at The Tocquevillian and written a couple of articles there for Wayne, who patiently explained (sometimes repeatedly) to me really technical things like how to make words appear certain ways, like in bold or italics. He was smart enough, though, to know his limits. Not his but mine.

He'd left the explanations of more complex things like linking to the The Lizard. Which was really a smart move. Lizards regenerate lost appendages and I'm sure there were times she bit her fingers toes to the quick and beyond trying to figure out another way to explain something so that I'd finally, MAYBE understand it.

Still, blogs were knew to me. Yeah, I'd read several and some on a routine basis. And then I ended up with one of my own. Both Wayne and Jenna said to get busy writing.

There were other things first, though. Like, okay Jenna. You put a link to me on your blog. How do I put one on mine back to you? Cool! Now what?

I kept telling myself, and posted repeatedly, that I wasn't going to keep it. Buuuut an election was coming up. I'd just keep going through the election. When Dubya won (PLEASE LET HIM WIN!) I'd stop. He won but then something else came up and I kept on going. Somewhere along the way, I forgot about deleting ACC. I recognized the truth for what it was. I'd become a blogger.

Why keep going? I don't know.

Maybe part of it is on occasion I've gotten a comment that's said what I'd written made someone think about a particular subject from an angle they hadn't considered before. Or maybe a comment that some silly thing had picked up someone's day.

It's a two-way street, though. I get back from all of you so much more, like with what's going on with Tank.

So to all of you, and there are too many of youse to mention, as A Cool Change marks its first Blogiverary, thank you.

9 Comments:

Blogger Tammi said...

Congratulations. I can't tell you how much I enjoy your site. I'm so glad you stuck with it. Here's to many more! Posts that is. ;-)

8:59 PM  
Blogger Paula said...

Yep, you are one of my faves!

11:11 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It's good that you have a starting point! Baileybug.com has been around since 1999 or so, but it's been through so many iterations I can't remember when I actually started "blogging". I DO remember that the first system I ran was MovableType 2.5, so maybe that dates me a bit!

11:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lizards have no choice but to regenerate their tails, because they are forbidden from purchasing new ones on e-bay.

11:39 PM  
Blogger Deadman said...

Happy Blogabirthday!

10:39 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Somewhere along the way, I forgot about deleting ACC. I recognized the truth for what it was. I'd become a blogger.

Yeah! And there was much rejoicing.

3:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Blog Anniversary!!

6:17 PM  
Blogger A Dust said...

Cool. Like Knighton, I have no real idea when I started blogging, but I, as you, planned to stop doing it just any minute. Still do, actually, which means I'll probably be congratulating you on your 5th or 10th or some such...

6:58 PM  
Blogger Norma said...

Blogger.com has really made it easy. PJ helped me when I started, but since I'd done web pages in the 90s, I sort of knew what was happening. Congrats on completing a year. There's lots of dead blogs out there.

6:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home