Monday, June 06, 2005

Shut Up & Sing

I listen to talk radio. Kinda. I catch snippets of Sean while I'm fixing dinner and Rush while I'm doing laundry. The only radio "personality" I do listen to faithfully is Neal Boortz, and even then, the best I can do is catch perhaps 60 minutes in bits and pieces of his three-hour weekday show.

Laura Ingraham? I've seen her a few times as someone's guest on television or talk radio show, but her radio program? She's on the same time as Boortz, so . . . nope.

With all of the interviews she was giving about her book SHUT UP & SING and the way Hubby seemed to be watching and listening to them, and needing a stocking stuffer for him last Christmas I bought a copy of it thinking he'd want to read it.

I now suspect Hubby was more interested in watching Ingraham because an avid reader, he still hasn’t even cracked the book open. And he sure hasn’t missed anything.

Needing something to read I made the mistake of starting it. It was a mistake because with few exceptions — I could probably number them on one hand if I remembered what the heck they were — once I start a book I finish it even if I have to force myself do so.

And within just the first few pages, I knew I’d be fighting to finish this one.

Hollyweird and the entertainment industry is full of Lefty-Loons and the pseudo-intellectuals they revere are of the same bent. Faith is under attack. The completely dysfunctional United Nations is a total joke. Dubya and big corporations really don’t want to do anything about illegal aliens because it’s cheap labor. Follow the money and it’s easy to find the same source(s) for the anti-Bush / anti-U.S. demonstrations and demonstrators. Yadda-yadda.
TELL ME SOMETHING I DON’T ALREADY KNOW! TIE WHAT I ALREADY KNOW TOGETHER IN A NEW WAY! MAKE ME THINK! WRITE SOMETHING, ANYTHING, THAT MAKES ME GO, Ah-HAA!

Please!

We’re not talking deep thinking or analysis here, folks. Or any challenge to thoughts or beliefs that have to be examined and / or re-examined because of the information or insight provided.

No voice, no unique tone. Like . . . instead of writing, the words on each page were standard observations backed with selected quotes from news reports, all of which had been pulled from various audio tapes, transcribed, and then just reorganized into book form.

SHUT UP & SING bored the socks off me.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doyle,
That's too bad about the book. Her radio show is one of the funniest of the conservative shows. She has a couple of clever guys who produce the show and screen the calls, and they contribute a lot.

You might not know she was recently diagnosed with breast cancer and has been getting chemo and radiation. She was supposed to get married this month, but I believe she and her fiance called it off. I'd be interested in why, but she hasn't talked about it yet.

Don't let the book put you off the show. It's great.

7:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got out of the Army in 1970 and arrived in Atlanta to resume college. I was driving up Peachtree Street looking for something interesting on the radio. I found a talk station with some lunatic complaining about Social Security.

"Imagine you live in a big apartment complex," he said, "and that the old woman in the next building is poor. Would it be right for you to take a gun and go around the apartment complex and force everyone to give money to the old woman? Of course not, but that's what the government does."

The host was, of course, Boortz, and he was a great help is making my already disagreeable personality even moreso.

I listened for years, then moved away from Atlanta. When WOKV began carrying his show here in Jacksonville years later, I was amazed to hear him saying so many things that I say. He really had an influence on me.

8:40 AM  
Blogger doyle said...

Joe: Don't let the book put you off the show. It's great.

It won't. Ya think maybe if I asked her really really nice, she'd move her show to a time different than Boortz?

4:05 PM  
Blogger doyle said...

I knew the names Limbaugh, Hannity and Boortz because Hubby was (and is) seriously addicted to talk radio, but I'd never heard any of them before I retired. (It was a take-it-or-lose-it early-out window, dammit!).

I flipped on the radio one morning. As soon I heard some guy talking instead of hearing music, I realized it was still tuned to Hubby's talk radio station.

Yecht!

But before I could twist the dial he said, "Don't believe anything I tell you unless . . ."

This fool's telling me not to believe him? Who the hell is this jerk?

Boortz, and I've been hooked since.

4:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doyle, you might want to check at the web site of the station. They have a link to sites that stream it at different hours.

I think it's :

www.1320thepatriot.com

8:28 AM  
Blogger Norma said...

I'll check out Boortz on internet radio. I enjoy other talk shows that way since we can only get Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh here (Clear Channel).

12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home