Thursday, January 05, 2006

I can quit any time

I tell you now, dear readers, beware. There is a an insidious addiction among us. One that has gone largely unreported although it has reached epidemic proportions.

For some who have it life has ended. Others manage to cling to some form of the lives that had before they became afflicted. Some, like me, have reoccurring bouts. Even now as I write this, I'm in the middle of another one.

A so-called friend sends an email saying, "Try this link." Or, you might open a magazine or your daily mullet wrapper, and there it is.

It's called Sudoku.

You pick up a pencil the first time and fill in a number or two. Then a few more. And more after that. You screw something up, scream, ball up the puzzle and toss it in the trash swearing you'll never spend another second on this time waster. Ever.

The next day, there's an new one in the paper. You fight but lose the battle, picking up a pencil anyway. You can't help yourself.

You know that there's some sort of method in it. A process. There has to be. There is!

You fill in a number or two. Then a few more. And more after that. You screw something up, scream, ball the puzzle up and toss it in the trash swearing you'll never spend another second on a time waster like this. Ever.

You take your dog to his oncologist. You no longer take a book with you to read while you wait for him. You have Sudoku.

Your family is pounding on the bathroom door screaming they need to go. Who cares. You're sitting on the throne with Sudoku.

If you have already been infected, you know of what I speak. If you don't, I beg of you . . . I beg you, do not Google it.

Some time themselves to see how long it takes to complete one. Some compete against others to see who can finish a puzzle first. Some sites offer freeware so you design your own. One even sells a three-dimension version . . .

I'm not that far gone, thank goodness.

Tomorrow's paper should its once-a-week Level 4. That's the only one I've yet to complete correctly, completely.

Just once. That all I need. Just once. Then, I'll quit.

Yes, I will.

I can quit any time.

11 Comments:

Blogger GUYK said...

I don't do puzzles. hell I am still trying to figure out life and sweetthing and that is a full time effort.

7:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doyle:

Heh, they hooked you, too, huh?

Try this one.

11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's another source of addictive sudoku puzzles. This site has new puzzles every day at five difficulty levels, and it can show hints and step-by-step solutions. Plus it has several printing options if you prefer to use pen and paper.

- KristinW

1:46 AM  
Blogger pamibe said...

I've got enough addictions, don't need another...! :)

8:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know much about the levels, but the ones with the letters are insane. And now I see they have ones with irregular enclosures instead of boxes. What kind of hideous torture/pleasure is this?

and to think a family member gave us our first book during christmas. She must not like us very much...

9:55 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

You know, I stopped doing the Web version over the holidays. The shakes were gone and I was on the mend.

See? I quit once. So I can quit again if I want to. Right?

Right?

10:28 AM  
Blogger doyle said...

I bare my soul and describe the addictive battle I'm fighting, and ya know what I get for it!

LINKS TO ONLINE PLACES TO PLAY!

Sheesh!

5:26 PM  
Blogger ABFreedom said...

What's an addiction? .... never had time for one, I'm on the damn computer all day... ;-)

8:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH I am so addicted to them and have been for almost 6months. Then the jerks at our newspaper added one daily and I do those! Ack!

9:34 PM  
Blogger doyle said...

Nailed a Level Four. Finally! That's all I needed to do. I'm done!

Yes, I'm done! I've accomplished all that I wanted to do! Needed to do.

YES!

I can now walk away, my head held high . . .

Wait.

What's that next to the confirmation of yesterday's Level 4 puzzle? The only proof I needed that once I'd figured ONE out, completely correct, I'd . . .

(where's my pencil.)

10:43 PM  
Blogger Kitten said...

I'm hooked too. Is there a support group for us? Maybe a 12-step program?

6:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home