Thursday, March 23, 2006

A Peeve

One of these days I'm going to do it. Don't ask me how but I'll figure it out, somehow. I don't care who they are, I'm going to reach through the receiver and slap ‘em. Or punch ‘em. Or smack ‘em over the head with their telephone until it sinks in.

If you're calling someone and another person answers, IDENTIFY YOURSELF!

The phone rings, you pick up the receiver and the person on the other end says, "Can I talk to (blank)?"

Sometimes it's prefaced with a "Hello" or even a "Hi!" Often not even that. It's straight to "Can I talk to (blank)?"

(I've been known to respond on occasion, "I don't know. Can you?" That, however, is a different issue.)

I spent mumble-something years where part of my job included answering calls or making them, so perhaps it's just me. I know I was danged rough on Da Kid about it when he was young and started using the telephone. At work it was called telephone ettiquette. At home, manners, and those early lessons served him well when he started working.

Is who they are supposed to be a super-secret or something? Or if they tell me who they are, are they afraid I won't let them speak to the person they want to talk to? Or, perhaps, are they're insecure and worry that if they tell me who they are, that I'll tell the person they want to talk to who's calling, and they'll find out that the person they want to talk to doesn't want to talk to them?

(Or maybe after they say their name and I tell it to whomever, and whoever picks up the phone and says, "Hi, (blank)! " like in the movie after their name's been said three times, they're terrified they'll disappear?)

It's not just "kids" but adults, too, and sometimes business calls. To make things even more fun, Hubby and Da Kid have the same first name.

THEM: "Can I talk to (blank)?"

ME: "I have two of them."

THEM: (puzzled) "I need to talk to (blank)."

ME: "Which one?"

THEM: (even more puzzled) "Is this ### - ####?"

ME: "Yes."

THEM: "Can I talk to (blank)?"

ME: "Which one?"

If the caller just told me who the hell they were, I might be able to figure out which one and not have to go through this routine. Of course I could ask and usually do not because I want to but because I have to.

But ya' know, there are times I really get fed up with it.

5 Comments:

Blogger GUYK said...

LOl Doyle. I normally am not a rude person but a damn telephone can make me rude in a hurry. I get a phone call that asks for me and doesn't identify themselves the first thing I ask is "Who wants to know and why are you calling." Hell most of the time I don't even answer the phone and let the amswering machine do it. Most of my friends have my cell phone number and about the only calls I get on the landline is somebody trying to sell me something.

7:16 PM  
Blogger ABFreedom said...

I'm very rude on the phone if I don't know who it is .. I'm the only one here and get all kinds of calls, and it drives me nuts. The latest seems to be these charities that phone up and ask for the head of the household, so I take the portable into the washroom, stick the just above the toilet bowl, and flush it. Then I yell "go ahead" ... I usually have a dial tone when I raise the phone back up ... LOL

7:21 PM  
Blogger doyle said...

AB: I take the portable into the washroom, stick [it] just above the toilet bowl, and flush it.

You are evil.

(I like that in a person.)

I've got one so-called charity that won't stop calling. They've become rude bastards, too.

Next time they call (and they will) I'm "flushing" 'em!

6:46 PM  
Blogger doyle said...

Too much time on the phone, Guy, handling every type of call you could imagine. It's ingrained in me. As soon as I put the receiver to my ear even now, a "switch" goes on.

(Got a call at work one time from a base commander. One of the [legendary] local nutziods had somehow gotten a very special telephone number, and been calling their radar operators non-stop all night, beggin' them to please retake the control center from the Pepperoni Gang and shut off "the rays" 'cause they made her head hurt.)

Because of AB's reply, though, the "switch" isn't going to trigger the next time a particular caller rings.

I'm looking forward to when they do.

Oooooh, yes, I am.

7:20 PM  
Blogger ABFreedom said...

LOL .... let em have it... ;-)

8:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home