Monday, June 12, 2006

TS Alberto: Local Report

Blogger's not behaving itself but here goes.

It was darker than it should have been when I woke up this morning. Oh, that's right! I thought foggily. Alberto's coming.

When I flipped on the radio I discovered that Alberto — that despite the predictions by many forecasters that the storm would probably deteriorate — had gotten stronger. It wasn't hurricane force, yet, but close and might be before it makes landfall. It's path had also changed.

Instead of coming straight over me, Alberto would pass to the west of me, then curve so that it was northwest and finally somewhere north. When I took Starbuck out for the first time this morning it was overcast and the air was still. That feeling of a storm coming in and the atmosphere is just holding its breathe waiting to exhale.

The overcast increased during the day, then the clouds started layering in beneath it. I took these shots around 3 this afternoon. The first is to the southeast; the second, the southwest where Alberto's churning off the other coast.

An hour later when Starbuck "said," Out!, the sky had grown darker with clouds. Fifteen minutes later the first rain began falling.

We're now under a Tropical Storm warning and will be probably through sometime tomorrow. The only thing I'm worried about is the possibility of Alberto-spawned tornadoes, and there's not a darned thing I can do about that.

I'm in Northeast Florida and, as always, there are other bloggers in the state reporting on Alberto and conditions local to them. If you're interested in seeing what they have to say, this map done by Boudicca last year (scroll down, then click to enlarge) will help you identify some of them. Many of them are linked to in my sidebar.

7 Comments:

Blogger GUYK said...

Looks like it is gonna go in north of us but we will get hit with a lot of gale force wind and rain. As long as it stays at the cat one I don't worry..had a couple of them go over the top of the house two years ago. Lots of noise and loss of power fro a few days but no biggie. But a cat two I am outta here and go see Bou and VW bug..it is gonna miss them

7:05 PM  
Blogger doyle said...

An instant after I hit SEND it stopped raining and the power went out. We don't need no CAT 1 hurricane to lose power out here! Nope. Wind could be blowing and rain coming down in buckets and it will stay on. Maybe. Somebody sneezes three miles away on a beautiful sunny day, it's gone.

This time it was back on an hour later but it's been flickering since, so who knows.

It's more of a dribble than anything else right now but according to the weatherjerk, it will get heavier during the night before tapering off sometime tomorrow. To me that's good sleeping weather.

Starbuck, on the other hand, is so phobic about getting rained on that inside and completely dry, he'll be shaking off imagined wetness all.night.long.

8:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We've just had a grey day here in Palm Beach County with some spattering rain here and there throughout the day. Glad that we missed this one. Hopefully it won't surprise anyone and stays on track and comes ashore as weak as they forecast.

Thanks for the link to the map of local bloggers - that is very helpful.

Stay dry,

A Big Wind
Hurricane & Consumer Protection blog: http://www.abigwind.com

don’t get caught in A BIG WIND with your guard down

11:03 PM  
Blogger pamibe said...

Comment spam! Arrgghhh!

About the storm: Thank goodness it didn't strengthen. Wind and rain are fine... in moderation... ;)

12:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank goodness it didn't any stronger. Keeping a watch over you guys in Florida.

1:38 PM  
Blogger doyle said...

If the one about the UN had been in reply to something I'd written about it, I would have left it. It wasn't and because of it's length obviously a cut & paste, so out it went.

The other one . . . I don't think it is spam. It's a new blog. Looking at the few entries there so far, I see no product promotional material. Right now, it looks like information on hurricane preparedness.

I'm bookmarking it and if it still seems kosher the next time I update my sidebar, I may include a link to it.

5:19 PM  
Blogger doyle said...

Today's weather is "changeable." The sun is shining . . . no, its raining. Wait! The sun is shining . . . AND its raining. WAIT! It's . . .

I don't know how much rain we got, but except for a spot or two in back the ground gulped it ALL down.

5:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home