Sunday, November 27, 2005

Some people need to get a freakin' life

I emailed Mark a couple of days ago when after seeing a trackback elsewhere, he asked who the blogger was that had generated it because he hadn't been able to sort through the tangle.

(Hey! Have I just coined a new term in the blogosphere? You know . . . a gaggle of geese, a murder of crows, a tangle of trackbacks?)

Anyway, I recognized the name and emailed Mark.

Quite a while back the particular blogger he was asking about had spotted something I'd written here, linked to it, had been quite complimentary and added ACC to his sidebar.

I don't require reciprocal links but do try to return the favor, unless I really can't stand the content, and his was chock full of good-reading stuff.

About two weeks ago or so I was blowing up updating my sidebar when I noticed not only had this blogger dropped his link to ACC, but he had little if any actual content anymore. Instead, as I explained to Mark, he had gone really hard into Linkfests with other bloggers in a mutual effort, I assumed, to drastically increase their standings in the TTLB Ecosystem.

Turns out my surmise (That sounds so much better than guess, doncha think?) was correct, and I'm not the only one who'd noticed some bloggers had become link sluts for the sole purpose of boosting their rankings.

TLB is now working on technical something-or-others to eliminate the scamming, and much discussion (complete with whines) has ensued. Not that I understand what the heck any of them are talking about when it comes to the technical crap.

The whines and whimpers were particularly sad, though. Pathetic even.

I'm not going to lie and say that I'm unhappy with my Ecosystem standing, although it changes back and forth and all 'round from one critter to another on a regular basis. Whatever it is, I've earned it. And if you're part of the system, like me, you've probably earned your's, too.

If you're not part of the system, you've earned whatever standing you have however you choose to measure it. By other bloggers who come by to read what you wrote to see what you might have to say on any ol' thing. Key a reply now and again.

Unlike those who've spent so much time desperately trying to increase their score on a meaningless game by scamming the system, we have lives.

7 Comments:

Blogger Deadman said...

Doyle - Good on you for discovering, and exposing, this reprobate and his link-whoring!

Know any well-read sites I can link to ?

LOL

8:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think I want a bunch of kooks and nutcases to link to me ... 'k, I mean, other than the usual ones.

I link peeps I find interesting. That's it. If you bore me, you're hosed.

10:10 PM  
Blogger ABFreedom said...

Funny, I don't even care about the system, I'm not out to get links. Just like networking with people with a common cause. My TLB bounces around like a yoyo.

10:36 PM  
Blogger GUYK said...

I never really understood how the eco system worked anyway. I have bounced up and down in it like a yoyo but don't worry about it too much I read the blogs I like to read and hope that mine is read in return but what the hell-I never claimed to be a writer, just a hack.

12:11 PM  
Blogger doyle said...

Thanks, Mark, but I didn't do anything except email you and later, notice a mention of changes TTLB was working on.

4:27 PM  
Blogger doyle said...

I don't know how it works, either, but it's so many points for . . . I don't know how it works.

Where I found it most useful early on, though, was it used to show who had linked to me and for what so that I could check 'em out.

Then I discovered Technorati.

And like you (plural intended) I'm into the quality, not quantity of links.

Which is why you're in my sidebar.

(Except for The Lizard. If I hadn't added her she should have bitten me.)

7:12 PM  
Blogger Deadman said...

I don't think I want a bunch of kooks and nutcases to link to me ... 'k, I mean, other than the usual ones.

I'm never de-linking you....Bwahahahahaha!

12:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home