Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Old Man

OLD MAN
(For Lucky - 4/11/00)

Doc, we had another scare today
With "Old Man" dog, my friend.
And once again I've had to face
That this could be the end.

But for tonight, another night
He's sleeping by my side
And once again I'm spared the tears
I'll try so hard to hide.

Doc, I know you know
How much he means to me.
But, Doc, Old Man is not a dog.
He's my friend. You see

Friends are not possessions.
For them you'll take the pain
Of letting go, not holding on
So they won't hurt again.

And Old Man dog will tell me
When his joy in life is gone.
His eyes will simply tell me,
"You're only holding on.

"Friends are not possessions.
For me please take the pain
Of letting go, not holding on.
Set me free, my friend."

1 Comments:

Blogger RightinFlorida said...

Made me almost cry because it made me think of my best friend who passed away last year. (Okay, I did have a tear or two.)

Lovely and touching poem.

8:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home