Wednesday, August 08, 2007

"Eggs in a bag"

Years ago I heard (or read) about it, and then almost immediately forgot temporarily neglected to remember anything about it until a few months ago.

It had been one of those days. It was late and I still needed to figure out something for me to eat for dinner. It's not that I didn't have plenty of food to choose from, or "fast food" I could have grabbed from in the freezer in the garage. It's just that I wasn't in the mood for any of it. What I was wanted was breakfast -- eggs, specifically -- but the thought of pulling the pans out of the closet and then cleaning up the dishes and pans after?

No. That was just too much work.

I had the bread out and was reaching into the cabinet for the jar of peanut butter — I had to eat something — when the box of pint-size, freezer strength Ziploc bags jumped into my hand screaming, "IDIOT! You temporarily neglected to remember forgot about even trying . . . "

(That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.)

Did it work? Yep! And well, too. So well that when Da Kid called a few weeks ago . . .

~~~~~

Da Kid called saying he'd be coming by when he got off duty the next morning, to do more cleanup work on the tree. Could I, he asked, fix breakfast for him.

It's not that I wouldn't. The problem is I'm not a breakfast cook, especially compared to Hubby. I get it done, eventually, but I can't whip out eggs cooked-to-order like he did.

How ‘bout "eggs in a bag," I asked.

"What?"

Uh, you want bacon, too, I'm sure.

When Da Kid came in the next morning instead of finding breakfast ready, he found I'd already prepped everything for us to cook our eggs together. In Ziploc freezer bags.
~~~~~
EGGS IN A BAG

(1) Coffee mug for each person.
(1) Pint-size, freezer-strength Ziploc bag for each mug.
(1) Pot of boiling water.

Line the mug with the freezer bag, pulling the edges of the bag over the mug's top to anchor it, then push the bag into the mug to make a pocket.

With me so far? Good.

Dump whut.ever into the pocket.

(Da Kid crumpled into his the bacon I'd already cooked, and no-longer-frozen shredded cheddar cheese from the bag I'd taken out of the freezer. Me? Diced ham, diced bell pepper, diced Valdosta Vidalia Onion and shredded cheddar cheese.)

Beat eggs, three for each mug, and pour into pocket.

Salt and pepper to taste.

Remove the bag from the mug.

Take as much air as possible (but don't go totally nuts about it) out of the bag, then seal the bag securely.

Squish the bag to mix its contents.

Place the bag in the boiling water.

Gently stir the bags until a few minutes later they begin to float (because of the air you weren't able to get out of the bag).

Fifteen minutes (or so) after the water has returned to a rolling boil, it's done!

Remove the bag, open it, and flop your eggs on your plate.
~~~~~

"Mom, it looks like an omelette!"

"Don't talk with your mouth full."

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger pamibe said...

That is SO cool! I bet even I could do it! LOL!

6:19 PM  
Blogger doyle said...

It's the coolest! It's SO cool I even took pictures but I can't get the ^&()(&%^$ things to upload . . . uh, download.

Whut.ever.

8:00 PM  
Blogger doyle said...

Well, there's one of 'em anyway.

Finally!

<sigh>

8:12 PM  
Blogger pamibe said...

It DOES look like an omelet!!! I'm impressed, and guess what breakfast will be this weekend? ;)

7:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH we make these in cub scouts! My cubs LOVE it!

8:18 PM  
Blogger whoiam said...

I cook omelets and many other things in bulk,to microwave them later.I'm Afraid of heating plastic bags that hot,in contact with food.the hotter they get, the more plastic goes into your body.the plastic rated for high heat,such as turkey bags,etc,might be safer.NPUBLICI Ps:If you'd like to know what you might be blocked from using in blogger posts or have to pay google for listing in searches in the future,then when you're posting in blogger, put in a wrong url in the link box up top,then type the things you know are on the net about you such as key words or words you've coined and things of yours you'd like to have listed.It will amaze you if it doesn't dismay you,what they know about you in the first place ad what they are probably planning for your future on the web. NPUBLICI

9:37 AM  
Blogger Norma said...

Wow. You really can cook!

3:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home