Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Hmmmmmmmm, no.

Mark at auterrific blogged here pointing to an article in Slate. The article describes how a dog that had been tied to a tree was "rescued" by an individual, and the dog's subsequent journey to what will be its new home.

When Mark said it had inspired him to do the same thing (as was described) the next time he saw a dog in a similar situation, I bit his head off. And then came here because I wasn't sure how much room I had there.

If I was rough, Mark, I'm sorry, but I meant what I said. Call Animal Control or the Humane Society and report it and follow up on the complaints. Do not take matters into your own hands. "Rescuing" any animal in the manner described is theft.

Tank (the Yellow Lab) and his bestest buddy, The Wonderdog, who was found on the side of an Interstate with one front leg broken, the other smashed. And yes, his front legs are still that crooked, not that it's ever slowed him down.


I've known (and know) people who walk right onto people's property and snatch animal(s) because in their opinion its neglected. Aside from being (in my opinion) just plain crazy, the superior attitude of these folk bugs the HELL out of me.

Society's laws don't apply to them. The absolute nobility of their "cause" gives them the right to do whatever the heck they want. Point out that there are organizations and procedures in place, the response is more of their opinion. The system is insufficient, it's not timely, it's ineffective . . . but, I digress.

A few years ago I freelanced the "barnyard beat" for the local paper covering, among other things, animal shelters and rescue organizations in Northeast Florida. Yes, the specific region from which "Fly" was stolen.

I noted with interest that "Patsy Beckert" didn't bother to report the situation she observed to any of the normal agencies one would contact. Why, I wondered, was it necessary to transport Fly out of state when there's an already-established, absolutely outstanding rescue organization specifically for Border Collies in the area. All "Patsy" would have had to do was drop it off, or call them and one of their members would have picked it up from her. Heck, if "Patsy" had taken "Fly" to Animal Control or the Humane Society, either one would have called that rescue organization immediately. Why? Because of a long-standing arrangement.

Why bother to check and see if the owner had reported the dog missing? (Were they going to return it if it had been?) Why check with the police? They don't handle that stuff unless the owner had reported it stolen.

(GULP!)

What "local animal authorities" were the calls made to? The system, while vastly improved, is still in disarray. There is still no central registry which is why people are encouraged to make use of The Missing Pet Network and Petfinder.

Doesn't Katz, the author, realize he's admitted to the (anticipated) receipt of stolen property?

And what happens to "Fly" if she doesn't work out. Contrary to this hearts and flowers story, not all rescues do.

I doubt it, but perhaps she'll turn out to be an uncontrolable, untrainable vicious monster. Or, it might be that the resident dogs completely and totally hate her guts from the start, and it goes downhill from there.

To whom is Fly returned?

Returned? Yep, returned.

Another thing missed in that article is reputible and responsible adoption. To keep an animal from ever again being dumped / abandoned / mistreated, the agency through which the animal adoption occurred requires that it be returned to them if, for any reason whatsoever, it doesn't work out OR the "owner" can no longer provide care.

Oh, it's a feel good story full of drama and "heroic" figures, complete with an anticipated happy ending.

It's also bullshit.

7 Comments:

Blogger Paula said...

Dang it all, Doyle. Why must you ruin a perfectly good emotional frenzy by being so...so... SENSIBLE???

6:48 PM  
Blogger doyle said...

Sensible? Yep, that's me!

Bwaahahahahahaha!Oops.

8:14 PM  
Blogger Deadman said...

And uh, Doyle? - I meant what I said in my response to you. I'm not going to change MY point of view because you think you are the "sensible" one. Sorry if I'm being a little harsh, but if you don't want to engage in this kind of behavior, well, DON'T. And we'll just agree to disagree on this one.

8:54 PM  
Blogger Deadman said...

P.S. - Just don't leave our dog out in your yard on a leash with no water. Bwahahahahahaha!

8:59 PM  
Blogger Deadman said...

Your dog, not our dog. Christ, it's a bitch trying to defuse a potentiallly volatile situation, isn't it? ;o)> No hard feelings, I hope.

9:00 PM  
Blogger doyle said...

No hard feelings Mark. We simply disagree strongly on this.

For the record, I didn't call myself sensible. Never have and never will.

Please note that it's Paula who said that of me. I maintain that her accusation is totally without foundation.

9:30 PM  
Blogger Mickey said...

That article has been circulating the rescue lists and I wasn't too thrilled with it. For one thing the author had to go and throw the human element into it all about how people could be saving people. Little did he realize that animals do save people. A animal in a person's life can make a world of difference. And no, I don't agree with taking an animal out of someone's yard either and I've been involved with rescue for a while now and I don't know of anyone who's taken a dog out of someone's yard. I have 7 fosters right now, none of them came out of a yard.

2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home