Saturday, May 28, 2005

Dead plastic

I’m really easy to shop for.

Don’t.

That doesn’t mean forget me, but I like gift cards. Love 'em.

No, I don’t want money. I'll tuck it away with the intent of spending it on myself, but then something will blow up and I'll use it for that instead.

I do like people to give it some thought, too. If clothing is what you want to buy me, give me a gift card to clothing store I like. That way I get what styles I prefer in colors that suit me and it fits!

An amazing combination already, what makes it even better is if the store is having a sale. Which for some strange reason happens more often than not because I shop sales.

Da Kid and Herself gave me a gift card for Mothers Day to my all-time favorite place to buy stuff. Clothing? Shoes? Home accessories? No.

Barnes and Nobles. Yes, books.

That card has been sitting in my wallet for over a month now SCREAMING to be set free, but I waited. The time wasn’t right. That changed this morning.

I didn’t see the email because it had been captured by my spam filter. Thank goodness I spotted it in time. In time meaning before the May 31 expiration date of the 15 percent off on whatever I bought from them so long as I purchased it online.

Gift card plus 10 percent member discount plus that 15 percent discount . . . let me think about that for a second. Hmmmmm? Is it the right time to take a few books off my seemingly endless "I WANT!" list or should continue to wait.

Stop rolling your eyes. We both know that that gift card is now history, but dang it. The sales tax bumped it over the card’s value by two dollars and change.

On its way to me are Zell Miller’s Deficit of Decency (I love Zell Miller), Mark Levin’s Men in Black (I love Mark Levin but Zell’s cuter) and They Just Don’t Get It by David Hunt because . . . tell me you wouldn’t you want a book with a blip about it from Publisher’s Weekly that begins, "Hang onto your ball caps and hairpieces, this [book] is going to be monkey-butt ugly."

Of all the books you want if you could buy three right now, which ones would they be?

4 Comments:

Blogger doyle said...

demOcritus: [A]sking for somebody to give you a gift card shows complete distrust in their ability to understand you. It is distant, and cold.

I've never asked for one in RL. I don't even remind people that an occasion, i.e. a birthday, is approaching. If they remember they do. If they don't, oh well.

Gift cards can be very personal, though, especially if the giver KNOWS the person they're giving it to really wants something, but isn't certain of the exact specifics. So how could the giver?

I'd rather give a gift that I know someone will enjoy, than have them say, "That's what I've always wanted!" before they stick it in the back of a closet to collect dust.

So, uh, books? Which three?

8:31 PM  
Blogger doyle said...

demOcritus on 6/26: I just happen to pride myself on my ability to buy a gift for somebody that they never even knew they wanted.

Like when Da Kid was futzing 'round down at the bowling alley years ago? He never thought about his own shoes or bowling ball, and he never even imagined lessons.

So Christmas came and he got a gift card to cover his choice of shoes, his choice of competition- quality bowling ball and a nice bowling bag, too.

When his bowling ball had been drilled and he went to pick up, the lane's Pro was waiting for him.

democritus: A great gift buyer will surprise the person with something that epitomizes their relationship while serving a great purpose.

Surprise is too mild a word. Shocked?

And if making someone very happy is your definition of "serving a great purpose," then we agree.

But let's go back to the question I asked that you still haven't answered: What three books?

6:30 PM  
Blogger doyle said...

I think I discovered what the problem is. I wasn't asking about books I should give.

The question I asked was: Of all the books you want if you could buy three right now, which ones would they be?

4:46 PM  
Blogger doyle said...

I think I understand the confusion now.

I wasn't asking for suggestions on what books to give someone.

The question I asked is: Of all the books you want if you could buy three right now, which ones would they be?

4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home