Friday, November 11, 2005

Go Grannie, go Grannie, go Grannie go

Christopher Lessner, 22, made a big mistake.

Was his big mistake stealing a vehicle, then taking off from the cops when they tried to pull him over for speeding? No. Those were mistakes, but not the big one. Another mistake Lessner made was choosing the wrong person's home to break into while he was trying to evade the police.

When Merlin, one of 66-year-old Susan Gaylord Buxton's "puppies," woke her up saying, "Gotta go!" she went to the door to let him out packing her .38 because, "There are coyotes around here." She noticed muddy footprints on her porch.

Buxton's 28-year-old granddaughter, Mandy Davis, who was staying with had also been awakened, but by the sound of breaking glass. She noticed certain items in the house were out of place.

Together, they discovered Lessner hiding in a coat closet.

Davis called 911 while Buxton, covering Lessner with her .38, told him to get down into a submissive position.

Lessner's big mistake was that he didn't do what he had been told. Instead . . .

He fumbled with the front door with one hand and reached for the gun with the other, Buxton said.

She then fired her revolver, which was loaded with hollow-point bullets, she said.

Buxton said she could have killed the man because her concealed-carry instructors taught her to aim for the torso. But she said she aimed for his leg. He was hit in the upper leg, police said. -- Star-Telegram
Additional coverage here [Bugmenot] from the Star-Telegram, ABC, the local NBC affiliate . . .

Oh, heck. Just listen to the Star-Telegram's 6-minute 911 tape BUT you may not want to do it at work. Grannie, in the background, was . . . um, a bit . . . um, perturbed.

LATER: Paul at Wizbang notes don't mess with Texas.

4 Comments:

Blogger Granny Snark said...

You have the wrong link on here for me. You still have my defunct cooking blog link. You're sending me a message, I know it.

6:54 PM  
Blogger GUYK said...

Now she will probably get sued because she used excessive force. Probably would have been better off if she had killed him. One thing about my 12 guage, if I shoot for the legs he ain't gonna have any left and will probably bleed to death before the abulance gets here because I wil take my time calling 911

8:18 AM  
Blogger doyle said...

Sheesh Peej. Give me a chance, okay! I only found out you were blogging again yesterday!

I blow up . . . I mean, update my sidebar like every . . . Okay, I'm weeks behind. Does that make you feel better!!!

5:39 PM  
Blogger pamibe said...

Though I was taught to double tap in the torso as well, it would be difficult to kill a man just stealing something...

Now... touch me or minde and you're dead. Period.
Grandma acted with sense and compassion, good for her.

8:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home