Sunday, July 23, 2006

Lost & Found, and a Bleg

When I accidentally started this blog I was sure I wouldn't stay with it. But the 2004 elections were coming up . . . and I'd quit when they were done. Then something else came up and I kept on going. Obviously I still am.

I don't know about anyone else but a problem I've had -- and it's been increasing -- is looking for something I've previously blogged. I could do it through google on a separate page (and never found what I was looking for without a battle) OR use the google function at the top of my main page and lose it when the google results popped up.

Harvey at Bad Example has loads of helpful hints for bloggers, including this one on how to add a google search to a Blogspot site. Since I don't speaka da HTML too good, I've chickened out repeatedly thinking I'd screw something up. Like my sidebar. Again.

After another battle looking for something I know is there, somewhere, I said the heck with it. I've had enough!

I was shocked at how easy it was to add the version Harvey has for searching only within a specific blog. It works well, too, and opens the search results on a separate page which, to me, is important.

The larger version (specific blog or the Web) looks just as simple but I'm done messing with my sidebar for now.

My Bleg?

The way my archives is displayed is getting on my nerves. To get to something further down in my sidebar I've got to scroll through months and months and months.

I could move the archives lower, I know, and may end up having to do that. But, I've seen several blogs that have a little box that contains their archives in a scrollable form.

I'd much prefer doing that except I don't know how, or if there's a cut and paste format available out there and if so, where the heck to even start looking. Help!

Now, off to google what I was looking for . . . if I could only remember what it was.

2 Comments:

Blogger C R Mountjoy - GDF said...

I agree. I started my blog over a year ago as a whim. One year later it's still going and I really have no reason to keep it alive. It's fun and all. And I have learned tons about code, but as an outlet for writing, that's the rub. What I pen and post differes with changing time constraints. And I think the point is 'staying relevant.' If the goal is to be read, then post often. If the goal is to write, then post at your leisure. I am caught in the middle. I like to write, but I also want to try and keep up with other blogs who post better content with m ore frequency than I do.

So, in the end, it's what I tell all the children I coach - if you're not having fun, do something else.

10:54 AM  
Blogger doyle said...

You're a good coach, c r. I wish more had that attitude.

As for being "caught in the middle" between posting frequently and when you actually have something you want to say . . . I write just about every day. That doesn't mean I blog every day. Often I just sit here and pound keys.

It keeps me <waggle hand> sane.

5:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home