Sunday, December 12, 2004

Sue me.

Merry Christmas!

I'm not an insensitive clod. I understand that not everyone celebrates Christmas. If you're one of those over-sensititive intolerent types and I've just offended you with my wish, tough.

You're convinced it all about you and your feelings. Yours is a mistaken belief that you have the right to be completely and totally offended because of the manner in which I've wished you well.

My intent is friendly. Yours is to be offended and offensive.

My apologies if I don't comply with your demands that I either do it in a manner you've prescribed, or that I -- as I'm sure you would actually prefer -- not do it at all.

I don't celebrate Kwanzaa or Hanukkah, but if someone who does wishes me a happy one, why would I denigrate or deride them for wishing me the good things that are based within those celebrations?

Saying "Happy Holidays!" covers it all, right?

Yes, and no. It is generic and totally antiseptic, covers everything. It's also insincere.

It's a phrase sales people automatically blather to the faceless multitudes they deal with. It's the seasonal, computerized introduction on a telephone menu, that begins "Happy Holidays!" before telling you that all of their "operaters" are busy, because in reality, you're of no more important to them now than at any other time of the year.

So if you want to manufacture indignation because I've offered you my Christmas greetings, have at it. You've taken what I have extended to you personally, that has meaning to me, and used it for your own self-serving devices.

By doing so, the intolerence you're accusing me of, is only your own.


Merry Christmas!!!

3 Comments:

Blogger Paula said...

I celebrate Hanukkah, generally say "Happy Holidays" and am not offended by my fiends wishing me a Merry Christmas. I do wish that the US government (e.g., public schools) would stay out of the religious holiday thing altogether, but that isn't going to happen, so I deal. There are better things to worry about!

7:30 PM  
Blogger doyle said...

Paula: I do wish that the US government (e.g., public schools) would stay out of the religious holiday thing altogether . . .The fear of offending someone, in some way, has gotten just plain silly. It's not just the holidays, either, but this time of year seems to provide some of the best examples:

"A spokesperson for the GSA could not give specifics on why the tree was taken down. Gary Mote who handles Public Affairs from the Southeast Sunbelt Region says the decision was to "...make sure no one is offended."

"The artificial tree that was decorated with non religious ornaments has been placed in storage."

http://tinyurl.com/5thvc

1:20 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

"Merry Christmas" is my default greeting for two reasons: 1. Christmas is the holiday I celebrate, and 2. for many people, Christmas is a secular holiday that gets celebrated regardless of their religious affiliations.

But I do try to remember to change that default greeting for those I know have different belief systems - "Happy Hanukkah" to the Jewish coworker, "Merry Solstice" to pagan friends.

If others want to get offended, well, I'm just as lief to say "Have a horrid Christmas then, if that's what you prefer." After all, Christmas and all the other holidays are going to take place, even if you don't personally celebrate.

10:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home