Saturday, July 01, 2006

Geeky Goodness

Bill Quick points to Zillow.com - Your Edge in Real Estate which he describes as "a handy little tool for obtaining a rough approximation of what you might be able to sell your home for."

He goes on to explain how he tweeked it to get a more accurate estimate, but me? I spent a good part of the afternoon just plunking in addresses. The house the Deadly Duo have a contract on, of course, and playing putting in the address of just about every darned place I've ever lived.

Without any tweeking, Zillow's median estimate on their "maybe house" was within $10K of the sale price. Cool!

When I called up the address of the house I was raised in I almost croaked. Dear gawd!

But I spent far more time looking at the pictures of the houses, zooming in and out getting the best angle. Yes, angle.

I gotta tell you, I've got a sneaky suspicion someone using this function might be very embarrassed if they checked their home and discovered when the aerial shots were taken they were . . . uh, like . . . ummmm . . . for all the world to see.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So the sat image was taken when the pool was doing its impression of "green lagoon". The home value according to Zillow is a third again the value of all the surrounding homes. I'll have to dig up the valuation done just recently when we applied for a home equity loan and see if it compares. What gets me is this: they don't have the # of bedrooms, but they claim we have 3 and 3/4 bathrooms!

Guess they were counting the pool...

LOL!

I'll trot over to Quick's to find the tweaks he's using.

11:13 AM  
Blogger Norma said...

I tried this but it gave the tax valuation figure for our summer home. Nothing around here has actually sold for that in 5 years. I'm guessing it's $90,000 off.

4:23 PM  
Blogger RightinFlorida said...

That was fun! Apparently every property I've ever sold made a lot of money...for the ones I sold to.

9:34 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

It says my house has 3 bedrooms, 7 rooms total. Estimated value is about double the actual value.

I wish.

11:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello! Sarah here from Zillow. I thought you might be interested in a new feature on our site that allows homeowners to update and add information about their home, such as a remodel or a waterfront view. You can check out our blog posting on the topic for more details here: http://www.zillowblog.com/zillow_blog/2006/09/zillows_databas.html. Let me know if you have questions – enjoy!

2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home