Pull in the WELCOME mat
Dubya's going to be addressing the nation tonight on
Better border security will make it more difficult but even that's not going to solve the problem of illegal aliens coming in. Whether digging more tunnels under the border or being trucked in by coyotes, illegals will still find the lure of the United States even more tempting if all they have to do is get here. As soon as they do, all will be forgiven. Again.
This guest worker program that leads to citizenship? What's going to happen to the illegal aliens who aren't interested in becoming a US citizen. Are they going to be deported if they aren't? If they don't come forward to sign up for it and are caught? What about those who feign an interest with no intention of ever complying? Or are initially POSSIBLY interested and then change their minds.
I see the carrot but damned if I've yet to see any stick. That's because there isn't one.
We've got how many million illegals already here and even if we were able to track them all down, there's no way we're going to be able to deport them all. It's already impossible. When it comes to enforcement of our immigration laws, we're already in a downward spiral (flush your commode and watch the water) and it's only going to get worse unless a drastic step is taken.
The drastic step is to yank in the WELCOME mat. Via Boortz:
I've gone through this on the air and in the Nuze before, but just in case the president's speech writers wanted to take a look at my notes before they polished up Bush's remarks, (yeah ... right) ... here's just how to reverse the flow:Allow me to clarify Boort'z sixth item a bit since as the material I quoted says, he's talked about his proposals and included them in his Nuze several times.1. Harsh .. to the draconian level .. penalties against any employer who knowing hires any workers who are not in this country legally.
2. Punishment - though milder - of any employers who hire illegals because they didn't conduct due diligence in the hiring process.
3. Change the law to deny citizenship to children born to a woman who is in this country illegally.
4. No children of illegals in American government schools.
5. Deny all social welfare benefits to anyone who is in this country illegally with the one exception of life-saving medical care.
6. Confiscate a substantial portion of the monies earned in this country by illegal immigrants. We confiscate drug money because it was earned illegally, so why can't we confiscate the money earned by illegals? I'm not saying take it all. Leave them enough to buy some food and get a bus ticket to Matamoras.
Illegals in the United States from Mexico, as one example, have an established system that allows them to transmit back to to their families there an estimated $18 to $20 billion each year. Tax the living hell out of each transaction, with the funds strictly designated toward increasing and maintaining border security.
Put it all together and illegal aliens already here will find their way back out just as they found their way in. With concrete border security and with the elimination of the "carrots" luring them here, the number of illegal aliens will drop.