Wednesday, December 19, 2007

WHUMP! The windows rattled ...

... and I felt the floor shake. Damn! I thought. A tree must have come over ... hit the house? I headed outside. Seth, my neighbor's son, yelled over, "What the hell was that?"

"Damned if I know," I replied. But if it had affected him, too, it probably wasn't a tree. And it wasn't.

I'd just gone back inside when the radio station I had on bleeped its breaking news tones. The announcer said they were receiving as yet unconfirmed reports of an explosion of some sort in an area that isn't all that far away from us.

I went over to let Seth know. I turned around after I did and there rising in the sky over the trees, was a freakin' mushroom cloud.

Da Kid estimates I'm more than five miles away.

TV station photographs here. An earlier report from the same station here.

Four now reported dead.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger pamibe said...

How horrible for the worker's families right here at Christmas... :(

They didn't mention any chemical leaks... guess it didn't happen in that part of the plant? Now that was lucky...

8:30 PM  
Blogger doyle said...

There's nothing left of the plant, Pam. It was completely destroyed.

The rubble is still smoldering. I could see occasional puffs of dark smoke over that way this afternoon.

Local news also reported this morning that they're just letting some storage barrels burn themselves out.

Even with four dead, I think the families of the "at least" 14 employees who survived (only one was listed as in critical condition) have had their own Christmas miracle.

6:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home